Amsterdam was supposed to be only two days, but the memories remain, by Camila Monsterrat

I was turning 21 years old the day I put my first step in Amsterdam. That was the first time I was travelling completely alone. It was me, my phone with downloaded maps of the city in it, a selfie stick, and gloves, because it was December of 2019.
I was just starting to see myself as an actual traveller,  I always tried to be a traveller, not a tourist, and that was my 10th country since I moved to Europe from South America, and it took me about two years to get there. I always said that I wanted to be old enough, mature enough and free enough to live the Amsterdam experience.
I arrived by train to Amsterdam Centraal at 9.30 from Gare de Bruxelles-Nord. My hostel was only 8 blocks away from the station so that wasn’t difficult to accomplish but from that moment already everything felt so comfortable. Side note number 1: 10 hours later I’ll realize that everything in Amsterdam is 8 or 10 blocks away from everything.
I got to my hostel and a man called Joseph was in charge of the reception of the Bob’s Youth Hostel. The entrance and reception could be described as the living room of your own house. While checking in my first thought was “I booked a bed in a mixed 8-bed room. Next time I’ll reconsider”. The key was holding by a chain to a purple plastic dog and from that moment I knew it was going to be special.
First thing I saw was Dam Square and apparently those pigeons wanting to be fed. Next move, Anne Frank´s House line: that was an hour that I won’t ever get back and I didn´t enjoy it. The line, I mean because I never got in. Afterwards, I went to the supermarket. I couldn’t buy milk because I couldn’t figure out which one was without lactose. Moving on, I started to get lost, but wonderfully lost, and I didn’t use the downloaded maps, I was asking around how to get to Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, aka home. (Bob’s). Every single person was nice. Everyone wanted me to get to my destiny. That was a nice taste of safety in a crowded city.
I took a nap, a long one, on a 36 hours trip. But that’s what freedom feels like,. When I woke up it was all dark already but that is because in winter, sundown happens at 4.30 in the afternoon. Some Red Lights District, some Rembrantplein, then around Nieuwmarkt. Summing up: a three hour walk around town. Bars, coffee shops, kebabs. Always kebabs. You’ll never know where you will find the best kebab. Amsterdam isn’t one of those places. I got back home at 10.  
I entered the reception and there was a party happening right there on Wednesday. €1 beers. 20 years-old all over the place. Frank Ocean on the speaker. I sit next to a girl with pink hair called Abla. She introduced me to her friends that just met as well. We talked for hours. Everyone felt like we had been friends for at least two years. We went for a walk around town at 2am. There was a summer magical sensation in the middle of December.
The next morning, I already had plans to have breakfast with my friends from last night. Matt picked me up and we went for coffee and walked around Museumplein. Side note 2: European youth loves to walk around with no direction for hours.
I got into the line to the Rijksmuseum. I spent four hours appreciating a century of art. The main exposition was Rembrandt-Velazquez. For the first time in my life I comprehended art. I knew it was about time, but this was my first experience in my non-so-long adulthood experience and even though it might be insignificant, understanding art  was always one of my goals.
I spent my lasts hours in Amsterdam in Bloemenmarkt. I read about that place in books a few times. American writers always loved that scenario for a first kiss or to place the beginning of your new life in Europe. Then Bob´s to say goodbye to my friend. Drink beers. Take pictures. Make fictitious plans to meet again anytime soon. Talk about the importance of not missing my train. I handed my purple dog back at 8pm and walked Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 8 blocks for the last time.
“That’s a wrap, Dam” I said while getting into my train back to Brussels.
The essence of everyone from everywhere is what I now call The Amsterdam Experience.
 The sensation of freedom never left.
 The feeling of belonging neither.
The memories remain.





Comentarios