“Classical” tourism in the 21st century, by Sara Roberto López

There are many types of tourism, but the most impressive one to me is the tourism that tries to rescue the Classical Antiquity. Many people are surprised when they walk along the streets of the Ancient Roman forum in Rome; lots of them get excited when they see for the first time a performance in the very Odeon of Herodes Atticus. This actually means that antiquity is not only highly relevant nowadays, but also a successful way of entertainment.
As a classical philologist, I like to be involved in everything related to Ancient Greece and Rome. So, what can I do to recall Classical Antiquity? The first thing that I did months ago was to mix both bachelor’s degrees: Classical Studies and Tourism. If I can import my knowledge from the classical field in the tourism area, I can give another vision of both.
Precisely at this time, it is more important than ever to know our past, where we come from and where our roots are. And from my point of view, one of the best ways to learn this is walking through the past and living the history by listening and seeing.


Comentarios