To infinity, and beyond ;-), by Mikel Sanchez

TO INFINITY AND BEYOND
Summer 2012, hot July afternoon in crowded Rome. We were on the second destination of our gap year trip. After having spent the previous days on beautiful and sunny Mallorca, we arrived in Italy to enjoy its historic heritage. Some of us had already studied quite a few Italian masterpieces from the 15 hundreds in high school, so we were guiding the rest through this amazing journey, including paintings and sculptures from Italy´s very own Michelangelo, Bernini and Brunelleschi.

            Something happened, though, that changed me forever, and taught me a new method to select new holiday destinations, and how to enjoy them. After visiting Piazza Navona, St. Peter’s Basilica and the Pantheon, we went back to our little apartment to have a well deserved rest. During dinner, a good friend of mine suggested we could watch the film Angels and Demons, which was filmed entirely in Rome, using many of the artworks and religious buildings we had visited as the  main storyline. Something clicked inside my head that made me fall in love with both the city and the film.
            A couple of months later, I learned that Angels and Demons was part of a saga that also included the Da Vinvi Code, and the recently premiered Inferno. The first one was filmed in Paris, which I already visited, back when I was barely able to walk by myself, and the second one begins its action in Florence and culminates in exotic Istanbul. My next adventure had its script already written, and after visiting the Tuscany´s capital city, I followed Professor Langdon´s steps through vibrant Istanbul. It was such a pleasant trip in so many ways. I would recommend it, even if you´re not into Dan Brown´s novels.

            The 4th film of this great saga, Origen, is on its way, but for now, I´m enjoying reading the novel, looking for my next destination. Unfortunately, it starts in Bilbao, few kilometres away from my home town. But I´ve decided to follow this system to set up my next trips, and discover places around the world, based on my favourite films and sagas, which, sure makes the trip more exciting. You can do the same by following the steps of your favourite novel character, historic event, war or whatever and whomever you can think of. My heart beats so joyfully every time I get to emulate Professor Langdon and his team on their epic quests. And I hope some of you can enjoy it as well just by following the path fiction creates.
            So Elon Musk, if you´re reading this and you have a way to get me to Tatooine, hit me up, and we´ll make it work somehow. For those who are unfamiliar with Star Wars, it´s my favourite saga of all time, and its argument occurs in a GALAXY FAR FAR AWAY. So, paraphrasing another brilliant saga, and my buddy Buzz Lightyear, “To Infinity, and Beyond!

Mikel ;-)

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario